As many of you know I am about to embark on an incredible journey for about 8 weeks this summer. I am so glad that you are going to be apart of it with me. I am going to try and leave at least one blog a week to keep you all updated on what is going on in Mexico City. I encourage you to keep Mexico City, the missionaries, and the team of interns in your prayers. I believe God is already doing incredible things there and I can't wait to see and experience what he has in store for this summer. You all are such a blessing to me and I hope that you can enjoy these brief glimpses of what God is doing in my life throughout this internship!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Un Dia de Cultura- 24 de Junio

          It is true that Mexico has become my home away from home but it is definitely different from Tennessee or Indiana. I have had the opportunity to be in Mexico for almost an entire month and while here I have gotten to experience so much of their culture and history. As I realize how much time has already passed and how little remains, I am saddened that it will come to an end so quickly. I so desperately want to continue building relationships with the people here and be able to see what life is like here through out the entire year. I have found it somewhat difficult to build relationships in a short time when their is a language barrier. However, I feel slowly but surely the relationships are building and I am excited to see how they will grow in the next 4 weeks before I return to the states.
         A major historical site in Mexico is La Zona De Monumetos Arquelogicos De Teotihuacan. This is very important prehispanic site. This is considered to be the first Mesoamerican city with different urban characteristics such as streets, drainage systems, and architectural order and styler. It is an area covered by pyrmaids built by the Aztecs to their gods. Calle de los Muertos is a "street" going through out all of the different architectural structures. The origin of this city is believed to be in 1 A.D. and the fall supposedly occurred in 650 A.D. My team, the Hancock family, and myself had the opportunity to spend the day their climbing the Sun Pyramid (which is considered the third largest in the world at 738 feet), looking at other pyramids, other structures (such as the temple of Quetzalcoatl), and looking at some of the shops. The pictures below show a little bit of our experiences during our trip there.
                          (This is a picture of my team with the Pyramid of the Sun behind us.)
      (This is picture of the Pyramid of the Sun with different structures built by the Aztecs in front of it.)  (This is a picture of me on top of the Pyramid of the Sun with the Pyramid of the Moon behind me.)
(This is a picture of me on top of the Pyramid of the Sun with the Pyramid of the Moon behind me.)

        For lunch we had an incredible opportunity to eat in a cave at "La Gruta"(meaning cave). I ate coneja (rabbit) wrapped in some sort of leaf with a great sauce. It wasn't my favorite food that I've tried here but I did enjoy it. I loved how colorful the chairs and table clothes were, it is definitely a Mexican thing. On the weekends this place has different shows but unfortunately we didn't go on a day with a show. There was of course a Mariachi band there willing to serenade the diners. The picture of my team is right outside of the cave where we ate lunch. We are all standing by different statues (I have no idea what they are really for but we decided that they represented the four gospels). We spent the whole day with the Hancock family (missionaries in Huehuetoca/Urbi) which was nice since Katrina and I hadn't spent much time with them. They have three very lively children that go to the missionary school located in Las Aguilas. This was definitely a fun day for all of us; we spent the morning climbing to the sky and the afternoon eating under the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment