As many of you know I am about to embark on an incredible journey for about 8 weeks this summer. I am so glad that you are going to be apart of it with me. I am going to try and leave at least one blog a week to keep you all updated on what is going on in Mexico City. I encourage you to keep Mexico City, the missionaries, and the team of interns in your prayers. I believe God is already doing incredible things there and I can't wait to see and experience what he has in store for this summer. You all are such a blessing to me and I hope that you can enjoy these brief glimpses of what God is doing in my life throughout this internship!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cosas Nuevas

    Well it has been a fun first couple of days here in Mexico. I feel like I have been here much longer than 48 hours but it has been so enjoyable. Andrew (also known as Carmello), Zach, Katrina, and I have all been living with the Carpenters since we arrived. We sleep in two different rooms but we have to climb four flights of stairs to get there. But once we get up those stairs, we get the opportunity to look out the window and see a fantastic view of Mexico (shown below). The stairs also help us keep are figure after eating so much good Mexican food.
     Since being here we have had the opportunity to learn about the people, the food, the area, the church, and so much more from the missionaries and the locals. Our team has also been able to paint a wall for the Carpenters and spend time playing games and conversing with them. They are very hospitable and doing great things in the Atizapan area. Today was definitely a great day for my team. After spending the morning talking about what we will be doing this summer, we got to go to an oracion (prayer time) at the church. Although it was hard to understand somethings, it was nice to be immersed into the language. While there, I met a little boy named Christopher, who stole my heart much like a little boy named Christopher I met in El Porvenir. He stole my heart by saying, "Porque No"... my first interaction with un nino in Mexico and he said my favorite phrase which was said to me constantly by una nina in El Porvenir. (If you don't know the story of this girl, you will need to ask me when I return to los estadounidos.)
    Now to finish the day, the four of us and the Carpenters went to eat dinner around 9:30pm and got to try some very interesting different types of tacos. We ate lengua, tripa, cacheta, longanisa, y postor. Can you guess what those are in English?   They would be..... tongue, intestines, cheek, sausage, and then some other kind of meat that is cut from a big carcass looking like thing. And too be honest, I like all of them.... crazy the things you don't know you like until you try them.
   I am definitely nervous about speaking only Spanish and having to rely on the little I know to get by this summer, but I am trusting that God will help me and my team communicate with the people of Mexico and form relationships. I trust him to continuing guiding my team all throughout this summer. I couldn't ask for a better team and I know that is completely God's doing! God is definitely moving in the lives of all four of us as we try and experience new things in this beautiful country!

No comments:

Post a Comment